Debra Stark has dedicated her life to public service. After receiving her master's degree in planning from Arizona State University, her entire career has been as a planner for local governments in Arizona.
She was the Planning and Development Director for the city of Phoenix and the Director of Planning and Development for Maricopa County. She also worked in the city of Peoria. This background has made her keenly aware of how local government operates.
She has devoted her profession to finding ways to cut through the red tape to assist property owners in starting a business or building a dream home.
As a City Council member, she hopes to continue to advocate for ways to provide more responsive government.
Debra has served or serves on a variety of commissions or boards both professionally and civically. These include:
- Current President, Former Treasurer and Former Vice-President/Legislative Affairs, Arizona Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Urban Land Institute/AZ Chapter
- Member, Board of Directors, Southwest Clinic for HIV/AIDS
- Commissioner, Maricopa County Trial Court Selection Commission
- Former Member, Governor's Growing Smarter Oversight Council
- Former Member, Board of Directors for Valley Partnership
Debra is married with two adult children and has lived in the same residence for 30 years.