Debra Stark has dedicated her life to public service. Debra was appointed to the City Council in June, 2016 upon the resignation of former Councilman Bill Gates. She was elected to the Phoenix City Council in March, 2017.
After receiving her master’s degree in planning from Arizona State University, her entire career has been as a planner and government official for several local governments in Arizona. She was the Planning and Development Director for the city of Phoenix and the Director of Planning and Development for Maricopa County. She also worked in the city of Peoria. This background has made her keenly aware of how local government operates.
She has devoted her profession to finding ways to cut through the red tape to assist property owners in starting a business or building a dream home. Her prior experience has proven invaluable in helping solve issues in District 3 and around the city of Phoenix.
As a City Council member, she continues to advocate for ways to provide more responsive government.
Debra has served or serves on a variety of commissions or boards both professionally and civically. These include:
- Former President, Treasurer and Vice-President/Legislative Affairs, Arizona Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Urban Land Institute/AZ Chapter
- Member, Board of Directors, Southwest Clinic for HIV/AIDS
- Former Commissioner, Maricopa County Trial Court Selection Commission
- Former Member, Governor’s Growing Smarter Oversight Council
- Former Member, Board of Directors for Valley Partnership